Saturday 25 May 2013

Open Focus Webinar

Earlier this week someone was asking me whether Open Focus was the same as Mindfulness ?
According to Jon Kabat-Zinn  one of the best known teachers of mindfulness. " Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way; "  Open Focus exercises are designed to enable us to attend to how we are paying attention. This may sound like semantics to some people but it quite a different approach. I have only tried a few mindfulness exercises  and even though I enjoyed them very much they did not have the appeal for me that Open Focus has.
In Open Focus attention to space is a big factor , space in , around , and through the body.  Questions like  :

"Can you imagine feeling the space around your body ?

 the space to the walls in front,of your body .  .  .  .

 to the walls at the sides of your body .  .  .  .  .

 up  to the ceiling   .  .  .  .   .

down to the floor .  .  .  .  .  .

Now can you feel the space on all  sides of your body  simultaneously  ?


Now stop for a minute and reread  those questions slowly and notice how you are feeling .
If you find yourself more relaxed and open, like me you resonate with Open Focus.
I have found this type of attention works very well with T'ai Chi where becoming sensitive to the subtle feelings of space, and energy in,  around, and permeating the body is so fundamental to the practise.

I have been invited to be the  " Special Guest " for Open Focus Webinar on June 5'th
'  The Body In Motion '  is the title for this webinar it should be really interesting for anyone who wants to find out some more about Open Focus , and T'ai Chi and it is also an opportunity to experience a live Open Focus Exercise with Dr Fehni.

Here is the link  more details on the seminar  or to register.

  Dissolving Pain

1 comment:

Jeanne Ann said...

Hi Ann, I'm a yoga teacher in the States and also interested in Open Focus, and I was looking forward to hearing what you had to say about using Open Focus in movement, but I missed it and can't find it anywhere on their site. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Jeanne Ann Whittington