Sunday 8 July 2012


‘’ My composition arises out of asking questions. I am reminded of a story early on about a class with Schoenberg. He had us go to the blackboard to solve a particular problem in counterpoint (though it was a class in harmony). He said, 'When you have a solution, turn around and let me see it.' I did that. He then said: 'Now another solution, please.' I gave another and another until finally, having made seven or eight, I reflected a moment and then said with some certainty: 'There aren't any more solutions.' He said: 'OK. What is the principle underlying all of these solutions?' I couldn't answer his question; but I had always worshipped the man, and at that point I did even more. He ascended, so to speak. I spent the rest of my life, until recently, hearing him ask that question over and over. And then it occurred to me through the direction that my work has taken, which is renunciation of choices and the substitution of asking questions, that the principle underlying all of the solutions that I had given him was the question that he had asked, because they certainly didn't come from any other point. He would have accepted the answer, I think. The answers have the questions in common. Therefore the question underlies the answers. ‘’
 - John Cage

No comments: