Tuesday 26 June 2012

May I live this day compassionate of heart, clear in word, gracious in awareness, courageous in thought, generous in love. - John O'Donohue -



In his book , " To Bless The Space Between Us " John O Donohue describes an experience he had as a young priest visiting a group of nuns. He was asked by one of the older women to give her a blessing. After he finished, he knelt down in front of her, and similarly asked her for her blessing. She was completely taken aback bu this because no one had ever asked her for such a thing.

I love when I read something that makes me conscious of my unconscious beliefs or views of
the " world ".

Reading John O Donohue's passage above brought up many memories of  ' blessings  ' from my childhood,
the  " first blessing " from my brother after his ordination.  WE had blessings from many priests and it never ever entered our heads to ask for one from a nun. Neither was it expected that a lay person could bless. Thank God for people like John O Donohue who wake us up to our narrow beliefs.


No comments: